Friday, July 15, 2011

Qatar FAQ

Credit: Unknown source

What do you want to ask about Qatar but felt it may be too trivial?

Every time I return home or meet someone on a overseas trip, people are always curious about Qatar. Gosh, you're working in the Middle-East... what is it like? So, to the curious visitors who has never been to Qatar or the Middle East, here's the answers to the most common questions I always get asked.

Q: Are there riots? You know, isn't there much revolution going on in the Middle East?
A: No, there are no riots. All is calm and quiet in Qatar.

Q: Are there terrorists?
A: Absolutely none!

Q: Is it desert everywhere?
A: No, the capital city of Qatar, Doha, is a modern city of more than a million people. Yes, it is mostly desert outside of Doha.

Q: Are the people very rich?
A: Like everywhere else, there are rich and poor people.

Q: Is it safe in the streets?
A: Absolutely safe. There are almost no crime in Qatar. Just don't get me started on safe driving...

Q: What food do you eat? I hear there are no pork.
A: Whatever I like; except pork of course.

Q: Are there only Arabic restaurants whenever you eat out?
A: No. There are as many Western, Chinese, Indian and Fastfood restaurants as there are Arabic ones.

Q: Must foreign women cover up? Can they wear what they like?
A: There is no need for foreign women to cover up. They can wear whatever they want as long as they are modest in their dressing.

Q: Are you fluent in Arabic?
A: Unfortunately not. English is used everywhere and my basic Arabic had become hopeless as I do not get a chance to practise.

Q: It it tough working in Qatar?
A: It can be tough or easy, depending on your job, just like anywhere else in the world.

Q: Do people understand each other at work
A: Most of the time, yes. English is widely used in the commercial world. The level of English vary in government and civil service sectors.

Q: Does everyone drive fancy cars?
A: Not true. I do not see many Ferrari, Porches, Maserati on the street. I do see a lot of SUV especially Toyota LandCruisers. I'm not sure they qualify as fancy cars.

Q: Is the weather bearable? Isn't it too hot?
A: The weather is quite acceptable for about 8 months of the year. It only becomes unacceptably hot during the summer months of June to November.

Q: Is my xxxx academic qualifications accepted?
A: There is a wide spectrum of companies in Qatar from all over the world. The companies from your home country is likely to accept your qualifications. If you are working in a foreign company, it is best to check with the HR department prior.

Q: You mean there are summer and winter in Qatar as well?
A: Yes, there are distinct summer and winter months in Qatar. It can go down to 12C during Winter and up to 48C during Summer.

Q: Is Dubai and Qatar the same place?
A: No. Dubai is part of UAE and they are separate sovereign countries. They are one hour away by flight from one another.

Q: Have you seen a transformer?
A: Although in the movie, Transformer 1, the first transformers were discovered in Qatar, I have yet to see one so far... :-) I have seen a few transformers in the toy stores though...

4 comments:

  1. I'm a Singaporean guy in the early 30s. I will be interviewing for a technician post for a power supply company in Qatar. I heard that the accommodation here is expensive & the housing allowance given by most companies are not enough to cover the rentals. I also heard of the double standard treatments of the locals throwing their jobs to the foreigners while they go skiving. How true is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but I saw this message only very late. One can get very good benefits including accommodation while another can get poor accommodation dependent on your employer. Come in with your eyes open, scrutinise the contract, pay an advance visit if you can and walk away if you feel uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. I'm a business admin undergrad in Singapore, and I intent to work in Qatar immediately upon my graduation (as I am hooked by the ideology of higher wages). Could certainly use your advise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would an employer pay a fresh graduate with no experience a good salary? Everyone is expected to put in their abilities and I'm not sure you qualify yet.

      Delete