Friday, January 23, 2009

Cultural Hiccups - 1

I am not a regular coffee person. However, even a non-coffee connoisseur like myself have heard of the famous Arabian Coffee or Arabian Roast.

There are Starbucks and Coffee-Beans in the shopping malls in Doha. Why would I want to try something that I can find at home or any other city in the world?

I ventured to the traditional Souk (marketplace) in the elusive hunt for age-old traditional Arabian coffee.

The guy in the coffeeshop is browsing wirelessly on a laptop, smoking a Seesha pipe and drinking Cappuccino.

I looked for the most run-down, most shabby, most traditional looking coffee-shop to get a real taste of Arabian Coffee. After all, am I not in Arabian land?

After some effort, I came upon this traditional looking coffee-shop. I ventured in. The shop-keeper was unable to speak English and I was certainly unable to speak Arabic. With some gesturing, it was established I wanted a cup of coffee. It cost US$0.80.

The shop-keeper promptly proceed to make me a cup of Nescafe Instant Coffee - with extra sugar.

I'm still trying to find out where to drink genuine traditional Arabian coffee.


Even this old looking coffeeshop serves modern Nescafe

2 comments:

  1. lol, hope you've found a coffee by now. It's called Gahwa in arabic btw :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I am a research scientist for the Institute for Cross Cultural Management at the Florida Institute of Technology. I am currently working on a project involving country-specific cross-cultural information and came across your blog while doing research on Qatar. I am looking for a "case study" to share, and wanted to ask your permission to use this entry in the project. The story would be copied and full credit would be given to you, and the link to your blog would be provided.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions (rana.moukarzel@gmail.com), and thank you very much for your time and consideration!
    Very Respectfully,
    Rana Moukarzel

    ReplyDelete